Everything You Need To Know To Walk Old Way from Southampton to Canterbury
Created using the BPT’s expertise and the knowledge of our volunteer route testers. This great guide will expand and transform as more pilgrims (like you!) walk it, providing feedback and updates on the route.
The guide breaks the route down into 38 half-day sections (plus alternate route options).
For each section of the guide, pilgrims will find:
The following resources provide pilgrims with all that they will need…
- GPX files for the route to be downloaded onto digital maps, workable on any mobile map app
- Images of route-marked OS Maps
- Google Maps for each section: locating holy places, accommodation, food stops, and more along the route.
- Mileage and elevation information
Of course, you can also purchase hard copies of the OS 1:25K Explorer Maps if you prefer to navigate without a phone.
Accommodation, Food & Transport Listings
Ring ahead to be sure that the places you want to visit are open!
- Each Old Way half-day section has at least one food and accommodation stop identified, with relevant weblinks
- Various budgets and inclinations for each section of the route
- Public transport links are indicated at the beginning and end of each section, for those who do not wish to undertake the entire Old Way route in one continuous journey.
Holy Place Suggestions
- From ancient churches to thousand-year old Mulberry Trees, each section’s Google Map is full of holy places
- Each holy place has a brief write-up and, if possible, links
- Where we have identified multiple high-quality route options for a given section, we have created alternative routes, indicated clearly within the guide with reasons explained
- Brief overview of what a pilgrim will discover for each section, with links
- Beautiful photographs within each section, for inspiration
Subscribe to the Old Way Online Guide: £10 for 8 months’ access, or by becoming a Friend of the BPT.
A GPX download of the route is also available for free for all pilgrims.
Please note: while every care has been taken to ensure potential hazards are indicated within each section of the Old Way Online Guide, the British Pilgrimage Trust accepts no liability for any omission or inaccuracy nor for any accident or injury incurred in the course of walking the Old Way. Opening times, accommodation and food stops, and other local information within the guide are updated regularly, but it is always possible that inaccuracies within the guide will occur as businesses and other centres change.
With thanks and acknowledgment to Will Parsons for his contribution to the authorship of the Old Way Online Guide up to March 2020. Some of the photos in the Guide are © William Parsons, so if you would like to use a photo from the Guide, please contact us to check what permissions are required.