The Way of Our Lady of Mount Grace – 26 miles, 2-3 days. A Pilgrim Way for the Catholic Diocese of Middlesbrough from the Cathedral of St Mary in Middlesbrough to the Lady Chapel at Osmotherley.
The Way starts through south Middlesbrough, then crosses farmland to reach Roseberry Topping. It then follows the Cleveland Way along the northern edge of the Cleveland Hills to Captain Cook’s Monument. It descends to Kildale and passes through Battersby, Ingleby Greenhow, Great Broughton and Kirkby where food, accommodation and transport links can be found. The Way returns to the Cleveland Way in a westerly direction to Lordstones and finally reaches the Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Grace at Osmotherley.
Pilgrims may also want to visit the Church of Our Lady of Mount Grace, in the Old Hall, North End, Osmotherley. A Mass centre was associated with the Old Hall from very early in the Recusant period. Today’s chapel in the top storey of the Old Hall is the latest witness to unbroken faith.
About the Catholic Diocese of Middlesbrough: It is part of the ecclesiastical province of Liverpool. It was created on 20 December 1878, when the then Diocese of Beverley, which covered the whole of Yorkshire, was divided into the Diocese of Middlesbrough, covering the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire and those parishes in the City of York to the north of the River Ouse, and the Diocese of Leeds, covering the West Riding of Yorkshire and those parishes in the City of York to the south of the River Ouse. In 1982 the two York parishes south of the River Ouse were ceded to the Diocese of Middlesbrough to unite the City of York under one bishop.