Our Online Guide is currently being beta-tested by a dedicated group of BPT volunteers. The guide will break the route down into 38 sections (plus alternate route options). Each section is about a half-day’s walk.
For each section of the guide, pilgrims will find:
While Old Way is not yet way marked, the following resources provide pilgrims with all that they will need to navigate the route…
- GPX download, workable on any mobile map app
- Route-marked OS Maps
- Google Mapping, locating holy places, accommodation, food stops, and more along the route.
- Mileage and elevation information
Accommodation, Food & Transport Listings:
- Each Old Way section (about half a day’s walk) has at least one food and accommodation stop identified, with relevant website and booking links.
- The BPT have identified, wherever possible, food and accommodation offerings for various budgets and inclinations for each section of the route.
- We encourage pilgrims to consider the environment when planning their journeys to and from Old Way. Public transport links are indicated at the beginning and end of each section, for those who do not wish to undertake the entire Old Way route in one continuous journey.
Holy Place Suggestions:
- From ancient churches to thousand-year old Mulberry Trees, each section’s Google Map is full of holy places – the variety of which are as diverse as the landscape is.
- Each holy place is given a brief introduction on the Google Map, and wherever possible has a link to further detail on other websites.
- Not all pilgrims wish to walk precisely the same path: where we have identified multiple high-quality route options, we have created optional alternative routes for pilgrims to try.
- Where alternate routes are given, this is indicated clearly within the guide – as is the reason for providing a further route option!
- Each section begins with a brief overview of what a pilgrim can expect to encounter in the landscape.
- Links to further detail, and further resources, are provided.
- You will find plenty of beautiful photographs within each section, to inspire you as you plan your journey along Old Way.