See all Events
St John Paul II Walking Pilgrimage to Walsingham with the Dominican Sisters of St Joseph
- Web Page
- The John Paul II Pilgrimage is a 50 miles walk from Bury St Edmunds to Walsingham happening every summer.
The pilgrimage has been running since 2006. It starts on Thursday afternoon in Bury St Edmunds with an opening Mass.
We spend the first evening and night in Bury St Edmunds on the floor of the parish hall, and the following nights on the floors of halls and gyms on the way. Sleeping bags and sleeping mats/airbeds are required.
For 3 days, we walk to Walsingham, 20 miles on Friday and Saturday and 10 miles on Sunday.
We walk from Brandon to Swaffham on the first day, from Swaffham to West Raynham on the 2nd day and from West Raynham to Walsingham on the 3rd day, using footpaths and small roads.
Our luggage is transported for us and food is provided by Sr Julie: picnic lunches and hot meal in the evening.
We arrive for the pilgrim Mass in Walsingham on Sunday and then picnic, walk the holy mile and finish with evening prayer and benediction in Walsingham parish church.
We have a group of pilgrims of various ages, including families. We have from 30 and 60 people joining us every year.
Every day there is Mass, morning prayer, evening prayer and compline, and benediction. During the walk we pray the rosary and we have talks.
If you wish to join the pilgrimage, please fill out the booking form on our website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Start Date
- End Date
- Start location
- Address Line 1
- St Edmund's Church
- Address Line 2
- 21 Westgate Street
- Bury St Edmunds
- IP33 1QG
- End location
- Address Line 1
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
- NR22 6AS
- North England
- Travel Advice
- The nearest train station is Bury St Edmunds. We will be meeting at the church from 2.30 pm onwards on the 1st. If you are coming by train in the afternoon, please let us know your time of arrival and we can pick you up from the station. We are also able to give lifts back from Walsingham to Cambridge train station.
- What To Bring
- 1. A sleeping bag and an airbed (we will be sleeping on floors)
2. Comfortable (well-used!) walking shoes
5. Sun screen
7. Medical supplies (blister plasters etc). We have a First Aid kit but it is not comprehensive or bottomless so please bring anything you feel you might particularly need!
8. Water bottle
- 50 miles
- Maximum Size Of Group
- £90 per person for individuals, £50 per person for family groups, £60 per person for students